Sojourner's Diary: SEASONS

 Sojourner's Diary: SEASONS



Time flies like a thief in the night

We all got a story to write

So darling jump in the ride

Before the train is gone - Burna Boy

It was a sunny afternoon as I sat under the tree in my backyard hitting my last jay from the stash, waiting for a call from one of my favourite humans in the world and listening to Burna Boy, I looked up at the tree in the backyard of the compound that had served as my home for the past six months of my life. Wow... Six already?! Anyways, I looked up at the tree and realized what had attracted my attention was the dead leaves dropping rhythmically from the giant tree (I don't know what tree it is). She called. The call I had been waiting for, anyways, her dad called her so we'll leave that and move on till she calls again.

When I looked up at the tree I realized my shield from the baking lokoja sun for six months was slowly dying. They were dead leaves all around it. Like fallen soldiers in battle. The trunk of the tree was beginning to dry up and its rustling sounds no longer made the joyous symphony I was used to. I could barely hear it now and the tweeting birds that had left it for other trees that were still fresh in the vicinity seemed to mock it from their nests.

All these sights and sound spoke of times and seasons to me. For every man on a journey to being a King, there comes a time when he must walk absolutely alone. Although yes, just like that tree with the green leaves still hanging on, he has friends who try to be there and support him, there comes a time of obscurity. When the whole world might think he is flourishing but in reality, everything is falling apart. The winter is here and along with it death. His resolve is tested. His faith is hacked at. His belief system is questioned. The People around whom he had been there for or even trusted  just like the birds which mocked the tree will begin to jeer at him. But if times and seasons are understood, just like the tree, the warrior digs deep in silence, firmly roots himself in his faith, discipline, skill and hope. He waits for the days of rain again and even while he waits, just like the tree he goes down and buries himself in the creation of the bright future he hopes for.

Times and Seasons. Crests and Troughs. Ups and downs. Ever wondered why the life support machine goes in rise and falls when a person is still alive but when it flatlines it means the person is dead? Maybe it's because if there were no ups and downs there would be no thrill in life now, or would there? Anyways, what do I know?

So she still hasn't called back and I'm done with my thoughts for today except maybe inspiration hits on my journey back to Abuja and that will come as a sequel to this. While I await her call, I gotta go find something to eat but do not forget:

Time flies like a thief in the night

We all got a story to write

So darling jump in the ride

Before the train is gone


- The Sojourner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUTOCARE: TRANSMISSION SYSTEM

ALKALI AMANA’S BOARD: NEW YEAR INSPIRATION

TELL ME SOMETHING; AM A YOUNG & PREGNANT NIGERIAN GIRL SHOULD I ABORT??