LIFE THROUGH MY EYES: TIME OF OUR LIVES

 TIME OF OUR LIVES


I wasn't going to wait for her any more much longer. I had already waited for like thirty minutes and there wasn't any sign of her. I picked up my bag gently from the bench I was sitting on and turned away from the building.


"Ada!" I heard my name. When I turned to the voice, it was her; Bola. She was walking towards me with a guy. So this was the reason why she kept me waiting, I thought to myself. I felt the anger start to rise and my face started turning into a frown. She must have seen it too because the moment she reached me, she started apologizing.


"I'm sorry I kept you waiting, Dan here wants to come with us" She said. I stared at her for a while then turned to him.


 The first thing I noticed was his eyes. They were blue. It was strange. He wasn't a white man, neither was he an albino. A black man with blue eye.


It was fanscinating..


And then he smiled, and I was lost

........

You turn to me as i finished. A wide smile on my face. I, your grandma "Ada" wasn't a young lady anymore. I am old now with grey hair but still very beautiful.


"What happened afterwards?" you ask me.


" We ended up going to Fela's concert together and throughout that evening I could feel that eyes on me" I  continue.


" Even as Mr Kuti sang his popular song about water having no enemy"


" And what" you ask again. You look giddy.

.....

I didn't see him a while after. It wasn't like these days. Back then, there were no mobile phones. Even landlines were hard to come by and only some selected few had them. We only did letter writing and even if I wanted to do that, I felt it would have been strange writing a letter to a young man I just met. Moreover I had no idea where he lived.


"I had stylishly asked Bola about him only for her to tell me she had meet him that day too. How he had walked up to her telling her how he had overhead us talking about going to the concert and he had planned to too and wanted to join us"


"And" you ask again. I can see the impatience look on your face and even though I want to relish in this memories, I feel like I have to tell you something or you may end up bashing your head against the wall. 


"I later saw him few days later. It was on  Sunday and it was in church. I remember vividly that I had never saw him before that day in my church and it might had felt stalkish to some people but I didn't give a damm one bit. We've never been apart ever since then"

.....

You frown as I stop talking. I know you want to hear more but I'm too tired to tell you.


"Go to bed, Nkechi" I say to you.


You stand up and sluggishly walk out and I laugh softly.


I lay my head on the pillow and I can still perceive it. His scent. He's been gone for ten years now but very still much part of me.


I go back to the day we met and I walk it step by step again.


The children and the memories are all I have of him.


Post by: Abdul Abubakar

IG: @archer015

JOIN THE COMMUNITY!!!

Instagram: https://instagram.com/thetellrhodescommunity

Facebook: The Tellrhodes Blog

WhatsApp: https://wa.me/2348071110893

Gmail: tellrhodes@gmail.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AUTOCARE: TRANSMISSION SYSTEM

ALKALI AMANA’S BOARD: NEW YEAR INSPIRATION

TELL ME SOMETHING; AM A YOUNG & PREGNANT NIGERIAN GIRL SHOULD I ABORT??