HAMZ MUSINGS: MY MATES



MY MATES
By Hamz

Are you frustrated with life when you think about your predicament?  Trust me you are not the only one passing through hard phases. 
I’m so frustrated too. I went to the market today to get a rope. It’s like Union bank. Big, Strong, Reliable. I’m pretty sure it can support my weight. At least until I breathe my last…
Do I even have a direction I’m going to? That’s a question I’ve asked myself a million times. Oops! I forgot to lock the door…
…let me lock it, I’ll be back in a sec.*muttering* I wouldn’t want anyone to barge into me as I perform my last rites, would I? There are times in a man’s life (or should I say death?) when he should be entitled to some privacy….
Okay! Yes, I’m back. What was I saying? I don’t even know. I guess I’d just write my ‘departure’ note and then go ahead with the killing task- quite literally.
Just look at me! A sorry mess. Compare me to my mates…
My mates are in school; I haven’t even made my O’levels.
My mates have high paying jobs; I’ve been ‘trusting God’ for the past donkey years.
My mates are so fluent in the English language; I can’t put two words together without murdering the Queen’s mother tongue.
My mates were born with silver spoons in their mouths; I was born with a rubber spoon- and even that was broken.
My mates are working in banks; I am just a factory worker.
My mates are married; I don’t even have a ‘fian’ not to talk of ‘cee’.
My mates are in America, I’m roasting in Nigeria.
My mates have children; I’ve been looking for the fruit of the womb for so long, the sight of fruits have begun to annoy me.
My mates began their ministries five years ago and now they’re up to a thousand; my church (if you can call it that) is still struggling like an AC current, with only twenty stingy people whose hobbies are to give ragged 20 naira for offering. Did I hear you say tithe? Forget it!
My mates are so beautiful and have all the right curves in the right places. Men pursue them every second to propose to them; I have a head like a pestle and eyes like a dazed monkey; I’m famous for my flat ‘attack’ and ‘defense’. When I smile at a man he misunderstands and thinks I’m a mendicant begging for alms.
My mates have wonderful families; my mother is a regular, living punching bag.
My mates…
SHUT UP!
Your mates are illiterates; at least you know what they call O’levels.
Your mates are learning ‘handworks’; you’re sitting on your lazy butts just ‘trusting God’.
Your mates began as ‘mere’ factory workers and rose to managers; you can’t even hold a job because of your surly, grumpy attitude.
You mates are single but networking; with your scowling face you’d be lucky to have even a baboon propose to you. Any man would be out of his mind to even approach you.
Your mates are in tsunami-stricken Japan, war-torn Libya, drought-stricken countries, fire-razed cities, facing hard times but making the most of their lives; you’re in this blessed nation complaining your head off.
You mates who don’t have children are adopting children or blessing those who have or touching the lives of kids around them; you, children see you and take to their tiny heels, fleeing for their tiny lives because of your horrible character.
Your mates are missionaries in remote jungles and 20 naira is a miracle for them; your congregation is likely a reflection of who you are.
Your mates are physically-challenged yet are finding fulfillment in leading impactful lives; your flat chest isn’t driving anyone away, your flat temperament is. You’re busy spending eternity in front of mirrors, wasting precious time cursing your body.
Your mates have taken a step to mend their broken families, you’re moaning about yours.
Your mates have been handed worse by fate but they turned it around; all you do is play the blame game.
Err, yes…but my mates…
SHUT UP! AGAIN!
Truth is, it is highly likely that your mates whom you’re looking at and being envious of, didn’t get there by looking at their mates and judging their every steps by what their mates were doing.
Truth is, your disposition, NOT your position, will determine how far & how well you will go in life.
Truth is, there is such a thing as unhealthy comparisons. Ask King Saul.
Truth is, those your mates that you didn’t look at because you thought they weren’t worth looking at, would soon overtake you if they possess the right attitude- which you don’t.
Truth is, it’s one thing to look at in order to emulate and motivate yourself positively, it’s quite another thing to compete and keep up with the Joneses’.
The problem with being a copy cat is that you’ll always be a step behind-always at least a step behind.

Instead of comparing, get your self a life…, your mates already have.
Your goal is in front of you, your mates are beside you... where do you want to go- forward or sideways?
 
In that place of men who keep their eyes on great goals... I hope to see you.

All rights reserved ©️Hamzwrites. 

Hamz is a creative content writer, editor and freelancer. 
For bookings, contact him via the following channels >>>
Mobile: +2348111178350
Facebook: Esoteric Hamz 
Twitter: @Hamson_Skillz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUTOCARE: TRANSMISSION SYSTEM

ALKALI AMANA’S BOARD: NEW YEAR INSPIRATION

TELL ME SOMETHING; AM A YOUNG & PREGNANT NIGERIAN GIRL SHOULD I ABORT??