LIFE THROUGH MY EYES: FINDING YOU


Finding You (3)
After I resumed studies at the university, I was a little terrified. I knew I had siblings who were there, but that still didn’t stop the feelings that wanted to drown me. I was antisocial and staying in a place with people from various walks of life didn’t sit well with me.
Grace, my roommate and also departmental mate had been a life saver. Through her help, I had learned to let down my guards a little and explore the walls of the institution. In my first year, they had been all sorts of events, especially for us fresher and even though I hadn’t felt like attending any, Grace had pressured me to. “A right to passage” she had called them.
It was in one of these events I had met Ben. They had called it “fresher’s night” and after hours of cajoling from roommates, I had agreed to go. Another reason was because I didn’t want to be the only one in the room that night. I had worn a dress mother had gotten for me and it hadn’t been fancy, mother was not known for her fashion sense. Back then, it had been a favorite. I had packed my hair in a bun and rubbed a little makeup on my face. I wasn’t good at it then, but everyone was doing it and I guess I didn’t want to be the odd one out.
Just like me, he had felt out of place standing at the entrance. We had to stand on a queue to pay for the gate fee and there he was; standing on one side of the entrance looking so lost, like he didn’t know what he was doing at that place. He looked across and caught me staring. He smiled. It wasn’t mocking or boasting or “you like what you see” smile. It was just a friendly smile, from one human to another. It soon got to our turn and I had to leave the stranger. I didn’t see him for weeks after that day until my course representative had announced on a Tuesday morning that we were to have a tutorial class in the afternoon.
The tutorial class had been filled with my mates. I remember how serious we had all been or had been claiming to be. Most courses in year one were general courses and the classes were filled, it was in year two that we really knew the serious ones. Then he walked after we waited for some minutes. It was him; Ben, the guy I had noticed the previous night. I hadn’t really gotten a good look at him at him before, so that day I indulged myself. I realized he was quite tall, the kind that would stand out in a crowd. He was quite handsome, not the Will Smith type but flattering in a way. His body looked like that of a swimmer, not skinny, not bulky either. He had a spot close to his ear at his back of his head.
I was so caught up checking him that I didn’t realized he was facing me. My face turned red and I turned towards the window to hide my reaction. I discovered that day that he was two years ahead of me. He had waited after the class to introduce himself. It had been awkward. As I walked out of the class, I could see him standing close to another young man and it looked like they were having a conversation. He walked towards me as soon as he saw me and every step he took made me nervous.
“Ben” he said as soon as he reached me with a handshake. I wanted to say “You introduced yourself already” but I didn’t. That moment all I felt was this exciting sensation running through me.
So instead I said “Jane” stretching my hand towards his.

Post by: Abubakar Abdul
Facebook: Habdul Archer
Instagram: @archer015
Twitter: @archer_015

Join the Community
Facebook: The Tellrhodes Blog
Gmail: tellrhodes@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUTOCARE: TRANSMISSION SYSTEM

ALKALI AMANA’S BOARD: NEW YEAR INSPIRATION

TELL ME SOMETHING; AM A YOUNG & PREGNANT NIGERIAN GIRL SHOULD I ABORT??