EPISODE NINE LIBERTY : GRACE DAVID'S CORNER


EPISODE NINE
Still enthralled by the painting that hung before him, he was oblivious to everything else – the noise from the other participants faded into the background as he held the gaze of the faceless abstract figure that was all eyes and tears. It was a dark brooding piece that spoke more volumes than he could fathom. He just had to meet the painter. As if in answer to his wish, a girl appeared at his side all smiles and ready to help. She must be one of the volunteers around considering her black dress which was similar to the one worn by the others. But he wanted to see the artiste if that wasn’t too much to ask. She bowed off politely and just when he was giving up on having his request met.
“I stripped my soul too bare in this piece, I wonder why you still want a commentary,” the soft voice came and he looked down to find her standing beside him. Small, fragile, whispery, too beautiful to be solid yet he fell and continued falling.
“Uhm I am sorry, I am not really into art but when my sister insisted she had to be at this exhibition my father asked me to drive her here, and I can’t seem to get over this particular painting, so you are the painter?”
She nodded and faced the painting with a detached expression then sighed, “oil paint, uhm a little pastel color, even charcoal, I am a messy painter…”
He protested gently, “I mean a real commentary on your feelings while painting this,”
She scoffed, “I thought people just buy paintings to show off to their friends that they have got a few bucks to throw around, why are you disappointing me?”
He laughed; it is either this lady is a stiff weirdo with a warped sense of humor or just a sad woman with a thick skin.
“I am sorry but go on and humor me; I am really interested in this work,”
Another sigh and she faced the painting again, “I am not allowed to have a solid identity, to be appreciated as myself, to have a life free of my past demons and so I am weeping inside and no one knows, so I am all eyes and tears but no real identity or joy, it’s all there for you to buy and hang at your public office and show off to the world,”
Was that a glint of tears he saw in her big black almost brown eyes? He did the unthinkable at that moment, he made a silly promise that surprised her, “I will buy this painting, hide it in my closet, away from public glare and I will forever remember its painter, your secret is safe with me,”
She swallowed with a nod and tearing her gaze away from his walked off without a backward glance. He wondered about her. He wondered about her when the world was asleep and the stars were alive, he wondered about her when he was sitting at breakfast, he wondered about her when he was working, he wondered about her when he was in a crowd and he shouldn’t be wondering about her but he continued wondering even when he knelt to pray. So he did all he knew to do, he asked God to throw her in his path again.
And that beautiful Sunday, when the choir sang his favorite song and his father preached on God’s grace and love. He saw her sitting ten rows behind on the other side. He almost danced for joy but settled for a smile and tried to concentrate because his father was saying something about Colombia University, his alma mater and thanking God on his behalf for his successful graduation as an architect.
“My son Jeff is in the country after a few years away, thank God we will finally have that new auditorium designed for free”, Pastor Sam joked and there was general laughter, “welcome Jeffy, we love you and we are proud of you,”
After service he had sought her out and had gotten a shocker – she wouldn’t remember him; at least that’s how he saw it because he believed he had made a big impression on Miss Goody-too-shoes. For Pete’s sake he had had a conversation straight out of a sappy romance novel with her and had bought a painting that had cost more than he had thought it would. She was just pretending, but he couldn’t get angry with her because she was doing something to him that he couldn’t explain. So he insisted on a normal introduction, something they had forgotten to do at the exhibition.
“I am Chide,” she had said softly taking his hand reluctantly.
That was ten years ago. Ten long years ago and Jeff could see that what had made Chide paint that dark and brooding picture was back or he was just being paranoid. But he needed to know why his wife was so jumpy and sad these days. Would a break from all these work do? Maybe he had find out on a weekend getaway to somewhere serene with a lot of greenery. He knew just the perfect place. He smiled as he pulled into his driveway where his headlights fell on a man dressed all in black, his short dreads poking out of his baseball hat and his cockiness oozing off his stance.
“I have to bring up the topic of tightening security at the next residents’ meeting,” he mumbled killing the engine. He took his time getting out and approached the man. In his line of duty as a pastor you meet all kinds of character but there was nothing in the guide books about safety and precaution so you make it up as you go.
“Good evening, how can I help you?” he asked pleasantly enough.
The man grinned slowly, “Oh you can help me by delivering this to Pastor Mrs. Ojochide Umolaojo,” he pushed a light envelope into Jeff’s hand and without hesitating started moving off.
Jeff was a little surprised at the man’s impetus but managed to ask without reciprocating, “Who should I say this is from?”
Another annoying grin and the other man continued walking before answering, Jeff could hardly make out what he had said but a strange name reached him nonetheless; Hagar.
Post By: Grace David

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUTOCARE: TRANSMISSION SYSTEM

ALKALI AMANA’S BOARD: NEW YEAR INSPIRATION

TELL ME SOMETHING; AM A YOUNG & PREGNANT NIGERIAN GIRL SHOULD I ABORT??