HAMZ MUSINGS: Procrastination the obstacle of growth

PROCRASTINATION; THE OBSTACLE OF GROWTH
By Hamz

There was a link on the site. It said ‘the dumbest procrastination joke’; I checked it and couldn’t believe my eyes. Two words- only two words- stared back at me.  "COMING SOON"

It took me some seconds to fully appreciate this joke but when I did. I laughed out really loud. It summarizes, succinctly, the state in which many live their lives.
Doubtless, every one of us, at one point or the other, have suffered the effects of procrastination. However, only those strong enough to conquer it have a great story to tell in the end. Procrastinators have one of the worst diseases in the world and many of them don’t know it. For the few that know it, their response to it is similar to what one sufferer said. ‘Procrastination is my weakest link. It has brought me so much sorrow. I think I’ll have to change my ways. I’m going to start  "TOMORROW"
Procrastination is probably the worst of the habits because die-hard procrastinators always procrastinate on the time they will get a cure for their procrastination.
How many times have you thought "I’ll Do It Later" or "There’s Still Tme".

One thing about procrastination is that there’s always a perfect time to do that thing and that time is always in the future- never now. Right now you have other things to do.
You need to rest.
You need to ‘quickly’ check your facebook account.
You need to visit your friend.
You just need to watch that TV programme.
You really just have to have this gossip (or discussion, as some would like to call it).
You mustn’t miss this party.
There’s always an ‘important’ thing to do right now.

The truth is, procrastination is a by-product of gross indiscipline. In the end you wish you’d done it before because now there are other things you need to do. So you either stick with it and perform the grueling, really boring, no good, very horrible task you should have done before and now seems so hard or you shift it yet again to the future. An ever-tightening spiral whose end is in the depths of confusion.
Don Marquis rightly stated that "Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday."

Procrastinators make it a habit to keep pushing away things until they are on red alert, but in so doing, they gradually push away opportunities until, in the end, wisdom is chased out of their lives. In every day are unique avenues to explore, stretch and grow but procrastination effectively blinds us to these. If procrastination is a road, then the end most likely is a pit filled with tons and tons of regrets.


Have you ever had a great idea or flashing insight and then weeks, months, or years later, you see that same idea converted into products- money-spinning products- by an unknown person?
You answer is most probably yes. The 80% reason for that is procrastination. While you were waiting for the perfect opportunity and perfect time, someone else was rigorously creating his opportunities and making his time the perfect time.
In the universal unconsciousness, ideas are not the exclusive preserve of any one person.
Nobody stole your idea. You are not a victim of a grand conspiracy. Nobody is following you from your village.
You want to know the cause of you stagnancy or retrogression or slow progress? (To borrow the solution of Niyi Adesanya)
Buy a mirror and secure it with palm frond strings. Embark on a fasting and praying program for God to reveal the source of your misfortunes. Sustain this for seven days. On the seventh day, light up seven candles around the mirror beginning from 7 o’clock. Patiently wait for the candles to burn out while chanting incantations. If you can’t, then speak in tongues. If you haven’t received the gift of the spirit, then you just keep repeating ‘Ebira-sandals-Igala-slippers’! At the end of your refrain, untie the palm frond and slowly lift the red cloth. Make sure it takes 7 minutes to do so. (Any faster or slower and you won’t get desirable results!)
If you follow all these directions to the letter, you will most likely find out who’s behind your being in the same position you were for the last ten years with so little change- apart from your age of course. Whoever you see when you look in that mirror is the one responsible for where you are now. No one else.

Here’s something I came across. I thought I should share.
PROCRASTINATOR’S CREED:
-I believe that if anything is worth doing, it would have been done already.
-I shall never move quickly, except to avoid more work or find excuses.
-I will never rush into any job without a lifetime of consideration.
-I shall meet all of my deadlines directly in proportion to the amount of bodily injury I could expect to receive from missing them.
-I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibilities for new technologies, astounding discoveries and a reprieve from my obligations.
-I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.
-I shall never forget that the probability of a miracle, though infinitesimally small, is not exactly zero.
-If at first I don’t succeed, there is always next year.
-I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
-I shall always begin, start, initiate, take the first step, and/or write the first word, when I get around to it.
-I obey the Law of Inverse Excuses which demands that the greater the task to be done, the more insignificant the work that must be done prior to beginning the greater task.
-I know that the work cycle is not Plan/Start/Finish but Wait/Plan/Plan
-I will never put off till tomorrow, what I can forget about forever.
-I will  become a member of the ancient order of Two-Headed Turtles (the procrastinators society)- if they ever get it organized.

Funny but true.
Do you want to be able to tell the future? You can always start with a procrastinator’s life. If you want to know where a procrastinator will be in ten years’ time, just add ten years to his age and you are done! Because, chances are, they’ll be exactly where they are now in ten years’ time.
Does that sound appealing to you? If not, then develop the habit, the discipline of doing now, the things that need to be done when they need to be done so that you will be able to do the things you want to do when you want to do them in the future.

In that place where only men stand…, I hope to see you.
Written by Esoteric Hamz

All Rights Reserved ©HamzWrites


Follow me on >>>
Facebook: Esoteric Hamz
Twitter: @Hamson_Skillz
Instagram: @Hamson_Skills

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUTOCARE: TRANSMISSION SYSTEM

ALKALI AMANA’S BOARD: NEW YEAR INSPIRATION

TELL ME SOMETHING; AM A YOUNG & PREGNANT NIGERIAN GIRL SHOULD I ABORT??